By Professor Michael B. Miller
Europe and the Maritime global: A Twentieth-Century background bargains a brand new framework for realizing globalization over the last century. via an in depth research of ports, transport, and buying and selling businesses whose networks spanned the realm, Michael B. Miller exhibits how a ecu maritime infrastructure made glossy creation and patron societies attainable. He argues that the mix of in another country connections and shut ties to domestic ports contributed to globalization. Miller additionally explains how the facility to control service provider shipping's advanced logistics was once primary to the result of either global wars. He chronicles modifications in hierarchies, tradition, identities, and port urban house, all of which produced a brand new and various maritime global through the top of the century.
Read Online or Download Europe and the Maritime World: A Twentieth Century History PDF
Best international books
Virginia Commonwealth Univ. , Richmond, VA. Pocketsized publication containing the rules designed to minimize the speed of nosocomial infections. those rules are meant to enhance caliber of care, reduce hazard, keep lives, and decrease charges. Trim dimension: 6. 25 x four inches. writer intends to revise each years.
Tina Guenther zeigt, dass die durch das Verflechtungsmuster der ? Deutschland AG? mit ihren Besonderheiten, der Beschränkung des Wettbewerbs und der Zusammenarbeit von Staat, Banken, Unternehmen, Verbänden und Gewerkschaften geprägten Unternehmen durch die Globalisierung mit mehr Markt konfrontiert werden als bisher.
This e-book offers present wisdom at the impression of endogenous opioid peptides on blood strain rules. In view of the speedy bring up in wisdom within the box, it's important that scientists in blood strain examine in addition to expert clinicians have entry to this type of finished survey.
- Computer Applications for Web, Human Computer Interaction, Signal and Image Processing, and Pattern Recognition: International Conferences, SIP, WSE, and ICHCI 2012, Held in Conjunction with GST 2012, Jeju Island, Korea, November 28-December 2, 2012. Proc
- Free Trade and Uneven Development: The North American Apparel Industry After NAFTA
- Specifications of Database Systems: International Workshop on Specifications of Database Systems, Glasgow, 3–5 July 1991
- The Chern Symposium 1979: Proceedings of the International Symposium on Differential Geometry in honor of S.-S. Chern, held in Berkeley, California, June 1979
- Diagnosenschlüssel und Glossar psychiatrischer Krankheiten: Deutsche Übersetzung der internationalen Klassifikation der WHO: ICD (ICD = International Classification of Diseases), 8. Revision, und des internationalen Glossars
- Secretory Immunity and Infection: Proceedings of the International Symposium on the Secretory Immune System and Caries Immunity
Additional resources for Europe and the Maritime World: A Twentieth Century History
Ports were, therefore, also the creation of history and human activity and thus far more than mere physical places. They were infrastructures, conglomerations of installations and services that signaled the power, scale, and value of city – or harbor – output. To make these water stations productive, states, cities, and businesses invested in dredgers, docks, quays, warehouses, sheds, cranes, grain suckers and elevators, cold storage houses, and elaborate transportation facilities: canals, railroads, drawbridges, and locks.
Part One reconstructs how the maritime world worked until the 1960s; that is, until containerization revolutionized not only shipping, but ports, professions, identities, and hierarchies. This part is divided into chapters on the four key sectors – ports, shipping, trading, and intermediaries – and a ifth chapter on the maritime culture that pervaded and held that world together. Throughout, Part One has deliberately treated the irst two-thirds of the century as a whole, because systems or patterns established at the beginning of this period did not change substantially until containerization and jet air travel swept them away.
P. J. Cain and A. G. Hopkins, British Imperialism: Innovation and Expansion, 1688– 1914 (London: Longman, 1993), 44. ; idem, British Imperialism: Crisis and Deconstruction, 1914–1990 (London: Longman, 1993). A review of the index for Liverpool will turn up only “Liverpool, Lord” in the irst volume and nothing in the second. 125 on Wed Dec 26 04:38:42 WET 2012. 001 Cambridge Books Online © Cambridge University Press, 2012 14 Introduction Structured linkages between maritime business and empire were therefore manifold.
Europe and the Maritime World: A Twentieth Century History by Professor Michael B. Miller